Scrojo (US Version)

Scrojo (French Version - en cours)

According to Scrojo's website: "Some say he was born a peasant child in the sacred peaks that protect Shambahla, named Ojorcs at birth and only becoming Scrojo when he had fully transcended the earthly plane. Others have proclaimed him a charlatan and a fraud. But those who have dared to enter his realm have felt his power and been forever changed by his visions. Working in seclusion from an unknown location, few have seen his face. Fewer still have been privileged to hear him speak. Using his voice only when absolutely necessary, he has chosen to express himself through his visionary artwork."

This said, you will admit that this interview is the perfect opportunity to clarify those points ;)


What are we listening to when we come to visit you?

The sounds of a little 4 year old girl crushing all hopes of being a pretentious artist.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I was born and raised near the beach in southern california and am pretty much a product of that upbringing. surf/skate/punk/car/hippie/chicano/drug/pop culture all have an influence in my current occupation, scribbling idiot.

When did you start drawing?

All children draw. somewhere along the line some stop, i don't know why. i didn't stop.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

I've taken a few classes but with the exception of one teacher never really absorbed anything. i tried to attend art school but was expelled after only 6weeks. i've bought several "how to draw" books but have yet to read them. so......... yea, i'm a margins kind of guy.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

I make my money exclusively off my art these days, which is nice. during the starving artist days i was also a dish washer, ditch digger, bus boy, line cook, coffee slinger, delivery truck driver...... so i am very appreciative of what i have today.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Not exactly sure what's being asked here. i do illustration work for magazines and i've been fortunate enough to be interviewed/featured by a few. as far as "fanzines" go........ my definition of a fanzine was the old DIY xeroxed mess of crap, which i loved in my youth and collaborated with and/or contributed to any i could find any chance i got. today the web has replaced those ( at least in my small surroundings ). my main collaborations on the interweb thingie is gigposters.com.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

Fuck...... the list is endless. literally. if i had to pick two, like someone was going to put a gun to my head or a bazooka in my ass if i didn't pick two, then it would be rick griffin and frank kozik.

What are the principal steps in your work ?

Scribble > scan > "ink" n' color ( optional ) & send.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

Yes.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

Depends. shortest time from concept to finished design: sub 5minutes. longest: about 4 days.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

I'm a whore. if you've got the money, honey, i've got your disease.

Actually i try and always maintain a very blue-collar attitude when it comes to my work. i'm a commercial artist. my job is to use my talents/knowledge to produce what the client wants to the best of my abilities. my job is no different then a plumber. i could not imagine a plumber refusing to unclog a shitty toilet because it conflicts with their inner emotional struggle. if i truly have a burning desire to express my tortured soul....... i've got a stack of blank canvasses behind my head.


For which band have you already worked for?

Fuck.......... most ??? i've done between 2,000 to 3,000 posters in my career.

For which band would you love to work?

Tough question. i usually choke when trying to do a poster for a band i really like because i try and make it the end-all-be-all.

I've been lucky enough to have done posters for bands i admired in my youth ( dead kennedys, new york dolls, electric prunes, devo....... ) , i've been fortunate enough to have done some pretty legendary names ( robert plant, elvis costello, bb king..... ) and i've gotten a few "before they made it big" gigs ( jason mraz, michael buble, black eyed peas ...) . so..... dunno. i just want to do posters for bands that appreciate it and promote a show.

Do you choose the artists yourself?

Nope. either a club approaches me with the band or the band themselves request a poster.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

Knowing when to stop. the perfectionist in me always wants to do something "better".

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

Huh...... "graphics scene" is kind of a broad term. i've several friends that are also poster artists as well as others who work in different design fields ( surf/skate, comics, advertising, magazine..... ) but i consider that more of a factor that my life and my work are closely intertwined. dunno. next question.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

I am scrojo, google it.


The best praise you received lately?

My 4year old daughter getting pissed off at me and screaming "....... and you're not THAT good of an artist !!!!!!"

What can we wish you for the future?

Flying cars and mini-malls on mars.

Last question > Do you know anything about french rock posters scene ?


To my shame, my knowledge begins and ends with tanxxx ........ but if only one artist could represent an entire country that's a fucking great one.

Aucun commentaire: