The Bubble Process (US)

The Bubble Process (US)

First time ever I have 2 artists interviewed at the same time, I would like to thanx the guys from The Bubble Process for this, especially as they really took time to answer each question, busy as they are, I really appreciate. No doubt that, once you will have seen the king of artists they had worked with, you will understand how proud I can be to have them on the blog today !


Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?
Rez - At this present moment? El-P, (Fantastic Damage), but I am about to spark up this Growlers' record. Menoma has also been on rotation quite a lot. As a Studio, since Sean and I work in different States, we send each other bands to check out all the time. We both have a huge rolodex of bands we go to, and are always out to look for new, better and best things to check out. It keeps us going.
Sean - I've been listening to a lot of Twin Sister lately. Love the new album. Also really into The Twilight Sad and Timber Timbre right now too. Always make room for Devo in my life.
 Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?
Rez - My name is Nicholas but everyone calls me Rez. I currently live in Brooklyn, NY and I do all sorts of things.
Sean - I'm Sean, I've lived in Cleveland, Ohio my entire life and pretty much draw all day. Life Rules.
 When did you start drawing?
Rez - I've always been drawing. I just didn't realize other people would like it when I got older. When I was a kid, I had these math assignments that you had to answer and then connect the numbers. Not only was I a wizard in math, but I always drew pictures of what they looked like to me, for no reason. I got an A+ on every one of them. Which was probably when I found out I could get away with drawing, even when I wasn't supposed to.
Sean - I didn't start drawing really until college. I was pretty much forced into it and really hated it at first. I think I was intimidated with the fact that I couldn't draw things perfectly. But once I realized I can draw whatever and however I wanted and the content was all that really mattered is when it really took over my life.
 Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?
Rez - I took a class my mom sent me to in my home town (Warren, OH - thanks Mom), and then I went to high school and did some "art" there, but it was mostly a hang-out class. Sean and I met in college and we used play this game called "The Kill Game" — draw something, then draw something else killing it. We passed a lot of classes that way. That was the first bubble process.
Sean - I went through all the technical drawing classes in college but it really wasn't until I started exploring daring independently that I really figured out my own way with art. Don't get me wrong, I really feel looking back that those classes laid a foundation, but learning to have dun with art and design was really the first step to figuring myself as an artist out. I didn't really draw in high school at all. No art classes….but I did like writing band names and drawing weird things with capes in my margins .
 Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?
Rez - I feel both. We are where we are at from drawing and having fun, but if it wasn't for drawing or having fun, we wouldn't be where we are at.
 Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?
Rez - Hmmm, not lately, but we do hit up Society of Killustrators every now and then.
Sean - I would defiantly love to work with magazines/zines more. I would really love to design and print a zine/book one day. We've had some ideas we've been storing away for a rainy day.
 Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?
Rez - I would say each other. We feed off each other. We look at everything and find things that blow our minds all the time. We have started using Pinterest to share what sorts of stuff we are into.
Sean - I agree we really like to push each other. I think we both know what each other is capable of….probably more than we even know ourselves. So I think its been good to have someone nipping on each of our heels. Yin yangs and stuff.
 What are the principal steps in your work ?
Rez - Concept, lay down first round. Then draw on each others ideas, repeat.
Sean - I also screen print all our posters in our studio in Cleveland, which is amazing. Everything is printed and designed by us…total package.
 Do you do everything by hand or on computer?
Rez - Our process starts on paper and ends on paper. The computer is our in-between.
Sean - The computer is defiantly a big part of our design process…but our sketchbooks are full with everything we make. We don't draw anything digitally…just use it to put it together and pass it to each other.
 How long does it take you to do a poster?
Rez - If we are lucky, 1 month. Then we can get really really into the detail. If we are not so lucky, 2 weeks. That is pushing it though. But the result is pretty awesome either way. Sometimes the longer we have the more we change things.
Sean - Yeah we really like to take our time…especially with printing. It seems like whenever there is a deadline something catastrophic breaks with my set up.
 You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?
Rez - If we were drawing horses running out of water, we would definitely be making them pretty awesome. Oil painting however would be the only challenge. We are more of a pen, pencil, ink and paintbrush type guys.
 For which band have you already worked for?
Rez - Tons! Definitely blessed by the amount of support we get from the bands we love to listen to.
Sean - I really love all the bands we've worked with. Its defiantly amazing to see the total package and actually get to attend the shows we make posters for.
 For which band would you love to work?
Rez - We've been screaming to work for DEVO for a while. Although that is a tall request. If Creedence got back together, I would like to be in the first of the line for that.
Sean - Devo for me too….the hometown dudes.
 Do you choose the artists yourself?
Rez - We sometimes reach out to people passing through. Why not? Bands we love need a good poster if no one is getting them one. It is a big hug and thank you for putting out radical music.
 What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?
Rez - everything is a challenge. It wouldn't be fun without a little uphill. 
 Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?
Rez - I wouldn't say we are in the "scene" but if you say hi to us, and say something rad about some of our work, we'll "be your Huckleberry."
 You will attend Flatstock 2012, is it the first time you take part of such an event ? What are you expecting from it ?
Rez - We usually do Pitchfork (Chicago) Flatstock, but this will be our first SXSW Flatstock. We are expecting awesome BBQ and a slew of rad people to pass by and meet. Can't wait. We will miss Doublenaut though. Our livers will be so much lighter this year.
 A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?
You can check out our work posters here:
 Cleveland -> Room Service - http://roomservicecleveland.com/
 Salt Lake City, UT -> Signed and Numbered - http://www.signed-numbered.com
 Soon at: Domestica  - http://shopdomestica.com  -> Des Moines, IA
 The best praise you received lately?
Sean - Someone told me we were one of their "favorite artists"…which is really amazing to hear.
 What can we wish you for the future?
Rez - Great bands and music for us to illustrate for. Oh, and free pizza.
 Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

Aucun commentaire: