Nagy Laszlo (Hg)

Nagy Laszlo (Hg)

Even if the Pet Shop Boys will disagree, I decided, once again, to go East and, as usual, I have been quite impressed by what I discovered. Mixing art deco/ art nouveau styles, with art of eastern europe posters, Nagy's work is quite unique in the rock poster world. Hope to have more hungarian artists on the site soon, but let's enjoy Nagy's work already !!!


Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Meshuggah.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

My name is Laszlo Nagy, I am 37 years old and I'm from Hungary, Central Europe. Now I'm a half-part assistant professor at the Art University of Budapest, called MOME, where I teach graphic design. Besides that I'm a freelancer designer, and in spare time I design and print my private Serigraphy posters.

When did you start drawing?

As far as I know I have been always drawing. Seriously perhaps in the Art Secondary school, but I wasn't the best really, so I tried harder, and for now I have reached the level of reassuring mediocrity :)

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

Both. I didn't really like the drawing courses, because they were never interesting to me, and I always drew absolutely other themes in the course. Of course my teachers were angry with me, so my schoolbook's margin remained the creative area for me. But later when I started the University I took seriously the drawing exercises.


Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living?

I'm very lucky now, because I live from my own business. I hope this good period will last for a long time:)

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

It's not typical. Sometimes I sent my works to some competitions of art magazines.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

I haven't got an ideal artist, but I like several serigraphy artists especially from the US. I'm not a type of fan. My influences come from my personal life and feelings. And sometimes I just have a look at the different graphic styles in the internet in order to remain well informed in my profession.

What are the principal steps in your work?

Idea, drawing, printing by myself.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

I prefer the computer now, mainly the vector based softwares, and for me it's nearly like the hand drawing. Formerly I drew a lot, but now the printing preparation is more easier by the computer, and this way is the simpliest for me.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

It's varying, sometimes I complete it very quickly, other times I bugger about it a lot :) Normally I finish my work within 2-3 days, and the printing method is plus one more day.


You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

It's no problem, what a beautiful idea! Business as usual :)

For which band have you already worked for?

City of Ships and Capsule.

For which band would you love to work?

Naked City!

Do you choose the artists yourself?

Usually yes.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster?

Always something else. Sometimes the design is good but I have some technical difficulty during the printing process. And sometimes the design looks good at first glance, but after the printing process I think that it is not still interesting or nice for me. I always hesitate, but finally I just let the bad feelings go.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else?

Sometimes I think, yes:)

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work, on the web or in real life?

I have no web page yet. If somebody is interested in my work please visit this Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1356486766&sk=photos

The best praise you received lately?

"…hmm, this pasta is not too bad!" and that the Communication Arts Magazine selected my works into their 2012 annual illustration book.

What can we wish you for the future?

Not to die because of inhaling the unhealthy smells of the chemicals during Silkscreen printing :)

Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

Aucun commentaire: