Chris Huang (US)

Chris Huang (US)

Why do rock posters should always berectangular ? To be true, I never ask myself that kind of question, but after discovering Chris' work, I found out that there was absolutly no reason for that. Chris' unique mix of animals and uncommon poster shapes makes his work unique in the poster world. No to mention that his haircut (at least according to the only picture I have) is quite unique also, but this has nothing to do with rock art...well, not that much. Well, enough bullshit talks, welcome aboard Chris !!


 Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you? 

 I am currently listening to a few Dr. Dog albums, The Barr Brothers, and Vetiver

     Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?   

My name is Chris Huang, and I am an artist living in Boulder, CO.  I am a Chinese-American who grew up in Michigan around many trees and lakes.  My appreciation of nature comes from my beginnings and has informed me greatly to this day.


    When did you start drawing?   

I began drawing as a child, lots of animals and comic book characters.  I stopped drawing while in highschool, and then rediscovered the love of drawing while at the university.  I was able to go deeper with the artwork and it felt great!

    Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?   

It was an introductory drawing class in college that helped me rediscover the connection with art for me.  After that it has been all self-taught and self-discovered.  There were also many a doodle in the schoolbooks at the lecture halls during those years.

    Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ? 

 I'd have to say its about 50/50 right now. I wish I could say yes, completely but  I wouldn't be able to do it completely right now if it wasn't for my gardening job which I thoroughly enjoy doing too.

    Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?   

No, I haven't done any magazine collaboration before.

    Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?   

Much of my influence comes from the natural world, and the wish to capture the cosmic nature of life in a drawing.  I love lots of different artists- some of my favorites are Hundertwasser, Mati Klarwein, Fred Tomaselli, Frank Lloyd Wright.   My favorite poster artists are the old school ones like Rick Griffin and Stanley Mouse.

    What are the principal steps in your work ?   

I generally work on wood.  I will sketch the piece out first with pencil, and then ink it, and lastly color it with colored pencils.  The finished work is varnished to protect it like a piece of wooden furniture.

    Do you do everything by hand or on computer?   

Almost everything is by hand, a few posters have been slightly modified with the help of my friend Jeff Lohrius on the computer.
  
    How long does it take you to do a poster?   

I don't know, one of these days maybe I should keep track of the time.... several hours for sure.
  
    You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?   

Thats a great question!  For the majority of the time, I create just what I want, however I do have a new approach with this scenario you ask, and for the most part I am now up for it.  It has something to do with trying to create custom work to the best of my ability with my style and also to appreciate the opportunity that someone has asked me to do this.  It may not be my inspiration but I'd like the finished product to appear inspired and so I put the hours into it.  I do feel very privileged to make art as way of life.  (Unless you want a scene that has horses running out of water with a sunset!!)

    For which band have you already worked for?   

I have done work for Greensky Bluegrass, Steve Itterly, and an organization called Conscious Alliance who work with musicians and artists to raise money and food for those in need.
  
    For which band would you love to work?   

See above bands that I am currently listening to.

    Do you choose the artists yourself?   

No
  
   What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ? 

 Nothing really- I love the whole process of it.

   Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?  

 I haven't really considered myself part of a graphic scene per say, however one contemporary poster that I respect is AlanForbes.  I like his classic style a lot.  I consider myself more of fine artist, but I do love posters.  It was an early dream of mine to create event posters one day, so I guess you could say that I am living the dream.(although it is a little less lavish then I had imagined!)

    A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?   

You can see my work at:  www.yellowlotusdesigns.com  or at my home/studio in Boulder, Colorado.  You are all welcome to stop by!

    The best praise you received lately?  

 Once someone wrote telling me that the artwork made her heartbeat faster and feel both happiness and sadness at the same time.

    What can we wish you for the future?   

All good things and infinite possibilities please.
 
    Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!  Peace

Aucun commentaire: