Vladimir Snegotskiy (RU)

Vladimir Snegotskiy (RU)

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems it is the first time we are receiving a russian artist on the site and it is both a great pleasure and honor that Vladimir answered our questions as russian art has always been an inspiration for a lot of artits around the world in history. There was no reason why there should not have rock poster artists in Russia also, especially as Russia is definitly a rock country ! And, for a reason I cannot explain, I find that russian typography is making Vladimir stunning work even more rock n'roll. Добро пожаловать Vladimir :)


Hello, of course as every Crew interview, first question: what are we
listening to when we come to visit you?

It seems to be black-metal, may be with post-metal influence.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from,
what do you do?

I am Vladimir (Waldez) Snegotskiy. I was born in Moscow, Russia.
Keep living here till today. I am being paid for design orders (including posters for metal gigs). Posters for my rock-mates I make for free. We don’t have culture of underground art especially in terms of hardcore music here in Russia. Me and my friend have established a small venture some time ago called “Octopus management” providing service for metal bands. Our venture covers design, posters and all kinds of merch. We try to develop a  feeling of art in people together with rising interest to good music and unusual design.

When did you start drawing?

Drawing was my favorite hobby when I was kid. In my teen years I gave it up returning to it after twenty. And then I have started to use computer. Now I am returning to hand-drawing again closing the circle.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins
of your schoolbooks?

I have not taken any courses learning be myself. I have spent a lot of  time over works of Simon Fowler, Aaron Horkey or David D’Andrea and many others. Their work gave me inspiration and skill. I can call them teachers.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living?

I make orders of motion and graphics design for living. Art is for myself. My best works are usually for free. It can be either for friends, or for self-promotion. When I work for myself I can do everything without boundaries. Sometimes the results are rather crazy.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?
Occasionally I have orders from zines. I enjoy illustration orders for zines. My recent work was for Russian Billboard. The order was on ‘death and music’ theme which is my favourite.

Where does your influence come from? 

Greater deal of my inspiration comes from music.  I am listening to something all the time. Almost every minute of my life is filled with music. Sometimes I even sleep with some ambient tracks in my ears. Outside I use my headphones listening to the music in the streets. I turn on my vinyl player when I am at home. Music and art is one passion for me.

Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

My favourite artist is John Dyer Baizley. He is an artist and musician at same time playing in a metal band (just like me... :) Generally speaking I like to surf the web for eye-catching images (in terms of shapes, colours, ideas etc.) that may influence my future work. 

What are the principal steps in your work?

There is no special scheme. Sometimes I do hand sketches first. Then I do all the rest in Photoshop or Illustrator. Sometimes I use computer only finding necessary images in Google arranging collages in Photoshop. Sometimes I do the sketch, then scan it and add some texts or colors by computer (depending on ideas of artworks).

How long does it take you to do a poster?

Couple of days as a rule. I make posters in my free time, therefore time consumption is different.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel
like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses
running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are
you up for it ?

I think I could paint ‘horses and sunset’ thing in my style. And yes, I am always open for something new including new techniques. I dream I could paint my stuff on canvas using oil or acrylic. But I am still quite far from it.

For which band have you already worked for?

Usually it is my friend’s bands or the bands that work with Octopus Management. All of them are from Moscow, and play in different styles varying from math-core to drone metal. And the bands I play in, of course!

For which band would you love to work?

It would be interesting for me to make something for each band in case the music impressed me. I am always open for co-operation with all of my favorite bands and the new ones as well.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster?

Most difficult part is to find time for a poster. When I run across an idea, all the rest is a matter of technique. I like to experiment with different styles and methods. Sometimes we do posters in collaboration with my wife Elena. She has great graphic skills and helps me a lot.

Do you think you are a part of "Graphic Scene", if so who else?

Personally I do not associate myself with International Graphic Scene yet. I might be the one in Moscow, but I am not sure. I would like to make more posters for international bands too. For sure I would like to collaborate with other illustrators and designers. We could work on big gig poster book or could make a big exhibition :)

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we
see your work , on the web or in real life?

I have a web page where I place my recent works http://ctrl-v.ru/

The best praise you received lately?

If people say “It’s cool” for my posters or press “Like” in facebook.

What can we wish you for in the future?

More inspiring art works, more fresh ideas and more music!

Aucun commentaire: