Jeff LaChance (US)


Jeff LaChance (US)

The good thing with Jeff LaChance is that, when you try to learn more about him by, let's say, looking at his FB profile, you discover that he is "extremely shallow, uninteresting and short sighted". This said, you still can have a look at his work, far from being uninteresting ;), and even, take time to read the interview. Believe me, a guy who worked for AC/DC, Motley Crue and many other great names (incl. the Melvins) can't be totally short sighed :D Many thanx Jeff for your answers and your time !



Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Over the past couple of days I've been all over the place. I've been listening to Foxy Shazam, Rush, Tester (local rock / metal band) Currently playing is "Life, Sex and Death - The Silent Majority"

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

My name is Jeff LaChance, from Boston, Massachusetts and I'm a freelance illustrator / designer.

When did you start drawing?

I've been drawing, doodling since my memory came online sometime in the early 70's.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

I did take "graphic communications" in high school but found it mundane...crumbling up a piece of paper and then drawing it bored me to tears. Being a fan of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth and Jim Phillips, I wanted to draw monsters, ghouls, and creeps. Looking back now of course, I certainly wished I'd taken the time and opportunity to learn things back then. I probably would've saved myself a lot of time and headaches "learning on the job".


Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

I do make my living doing art, and my main focus is illustration and tee shirt design.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

I'm not working on a continuing basis with any one magazine, but I have done work for Revovler Magazine as well as Royal Flush Magazine. I've been published in several "rock art" books as well. Such as "The Art of Modern Rock", Pandameat - a Frank Kozik project, AC?DC: High Voltage Rock 'n' Roll: The Ultimate Illustrated History and "Gigposters - Volume One".

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

Ed "Big Daddy" Roth and the 80's skateboard art of Jim Phillips had a HUGE influence on me as a kid...always had a fascination with the monsters and creeps that were so prevalent in their work. I love TONS of artists...people like Frank Kozik and Jermaine Rogers' whose work in the 90's was very important to me, not in a style sense, but certainly in an influential sense...the catalyst to get me interested in doing gig posters.


What are the principal steps in your work ?

Concept is easily the most difficult step for me. If possible, visually, I look for something that suits the bands music or "vibe"...sometimes more successfully than others. I try not to use the opportunity just as a vehicle for "my work", in other words, I don't just slap some illustration I've done on a poster, add text and send it off. I try and put some thought into it...for each band. I consider it a privledge to be asked to do a poster...and I want to take that opportunity seriously.

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

I use both. I usually do the illustration by hand, and use the computer for color and type. Although, I have done type by hand and I have done illustration digitally. Is that confusing enough?

I'm gonna go with my first answer. I use both.


How long does it take you to do a poster?

Usually a couple days...sometimes longer. Depending on how much detail I go into on the illustration. That is always the most time consuming part of any of my posters.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it?

Hahaha, if someone asks me for an oil painting of a horse, they haven't seen my work. Although I experiment with different mediums in my free time, I stick to what I know best and the skill I've spent the most time honing, which is pen and ink. I'm always working to improve my art and my skills...and once I get to oil painting horses, I will add that to my list of services.

For which band have you already worked for?

Too many to list, but a few of the more popular bands I've done work for include Faith No More, Peeping Tom, KISS, Motley Crue, AC/DC, Fishbone, The Darkness, Melvins, Primus, Big Business, High on Fire, Buckethead, Queens of the Stone Age and The Sword.

For which band would you love to work?

Foo Fighters, Foo Fighters, Foo Fighters, Foo Fighters,...being a drummer as well as a working artist, I am an unapologetic uber fan of anything Dave Grohl.

also Cheap Trick, Foxy Shazam, Rush...I'm sure there are many more...but those are off the top of my head.


Do you choose the artists yourself?

I am usually contacted by the venue or promoter, things have changed a great deal from when I began doing gig posters. Things are far more structured now, with alot of bands going through promoters or sticking with designers or design houses that have done work for them in the past.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster ?

Concept, concept concept.

.....usually.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else ?

I don't think I'm part of the "current" graphic scene at all...and that's not necessarily a "bad thing". I think there are trappings with being associated with a scene or a movement. Restrictions or expectations, real or imagined...by others or yourself. Almost similar to when a musician is successful with a certain sound or song...the record company or fan base expect the same thing because THAT is what made them popular....

So I'm OK with just doing what I want...and letting other people figure out what scene I belong to or what category I belong in.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?



The best praise you received lately?

Any time someone buys a poster, or an art print or inquires about having me do work for them, I consider that "praise"...to have people interested in what I draw was always a dream for me when I was young...so it's kind of cool.

What can we wish you for the future?

I'm a bit simplistic in my expectations and goals. As long as I can eek out a living doing what I love, I'll be happy. So you can wish for me to continue to find work and people interested in me doing work for them. If I were to get lofty with my goals, I'd love to get into toy design, as well as have my artwork appear on more magazines, skateboards and snowboards.

Aucun commentaire: